Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Whole30 Day 29: closing in on the finish line

This challenge has been absolutely amazing, you guys. I'm starting to think about the long term effects of the Whole30, and I'm so excited to discuss and share that with you over the coming few weeks as I reintegrate other foods again. I really and truly can't believe there's only one day left!

Today was very fulfilling. I'm exhausted, but it's a good, productive exhaustedness, so that's alright.
I nailed focusing at work through the middle of the day, finishing one order and getting another started, finished and shipped out. Then I ran an errand or two, came home, and Penelope and I went for another run. Today we went down next to the river- I LOVE having that as a resource! I'd forgotten how much I like running. Talk about therapeutic! When your body's working that hard, you don't have room in your head to do anything except run- so no thinking!

When we got home, I threw dinner in the oven and started fighting Doldrum Fatigue. This is a very real syndrome that's easily incited by the inbetween times, like prevening. (That's pre-evening). But I managed to get my kettlebell circuit in, showered, dinner eaten, some emails sent, some bills paid, some receipts tracked down and a calendar check. Then Penelope and the cat made an ABSOLUTE nuisance of themselves while I ran lines- now that I think on it, it probably helped after all.

I followed that with a quick night-night walk with my walking buddy, the few dishesI had from today, a ten minute tidy and whew, time for bed!

So, then. Plenty of energy, nothing weird in my digestive tract, no headache. But I am thirsty today. Have been all day- that's really something I need to work on again: water intake. Also, can we just make an official note that I no longer have a chronic headache?! I've had headaches, very low grade, about 75% of the time for YEARS. All of a sudden- no head aches (unless they're caused by loud music or other issues). Thank goodness for that! I'm also feeling pretty ok mentally and emotionally. Like I have a measure of control over how my body feels and thinks, which is a first in a long time, and very welcome.

On the other hand, getting out of bed in the mornings is not any easier. Penelope still drags me out of bed and propels us both around the block before I start feeling even remotely human. I am still having some slight, slight skin issues, especially on my upper arms and the outsides of my thighs. And I'm not sleeping as well now as I was early on. I'm not sleeping poorly by any stretch, but it isn't that out like a log feeling I had during week 2.


Ok, food!

Meal 1: banana nut raisin breakfast porridge & a hard boiled egg. Since I didn't get apples yesterday in my CSA box, I messed with my breakfast recipe a bit- it tasted great! Here's what I did:

1/2 c. walnuts
1/2c. cashews
1 c. almonds
3 bananas
1 egg yolk
cinnamon to taste
ghee (medium spoonful)
raisins

combine nuts in a bowl and fill with water. Cover and let sit for at least 6 hours.
Once the nuts are done soaking, pour them into a nut milk bag or strainer (OVER THE SINK!). Rinse them until water runs clear. Then combine nuts, egg & two of the bananas in the blender. Add enough water to cover nuts. Pulse until smooth.

Pour the mixture back into your nut milk bag and squeeze the milk into a bowl, setting aside both milk and nut meal for a moment when finished.

Then, add remaining banana, half the amount of raisins you like, and the cinnamon in a large saucepan with your ghee. Heat on very low heat until banana chunks (did I say slice it? Well, do!) and raisins are coated in cinnamon. Add about a cup of the milk. Increase heat to about medium. Stir until well mixed, and then heat until it starts a kind of thick, slow simmer. Simmer for 2-5 minutes.

Then add the nut solids (or meal) from your nut milk bag to the saucepan, stirring well to mix.
Finally, add the remaining milk. Bring pot back to simmer, stirring frequently, and then add the remaining milk and allow it to cook down until you like the consistency! I topped with another handful of raisins.

This makes a lot- at least 4, maybe 5 servings, but it refrigerates and reheats BEAUTIFULLY.

Meal 2: Salad with spinach, lettuce, prosciutto, hardboiled egg, olives, blackberries & guacamole.

Meal 3: Baked potato, loaded up with leftover stuffed pepper stuffing, salsa & guacamole. One smallish potato, and I was very full and satisfied. And some grapes.

And can we just take a minute to appreciate the baked potato?! They're good with practically anything on them, and the only dish you get dirty cooking is a for to poke them with! My kind of dinner!

Ok, that's all.
Until next time~
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment