Thursday, August 11, 2011

simply fit

HA! I know that's what you're thinking. It's ok, let it out. Simple? Being Fit? HA!

Heck, even I'm thinking it. I'm still quivering from my first toning workout in 6 months, and I lasted maybe 40 minutes. Ha, simplicity.

But the truth of the matter is, it is simple. A small commitment, that's all it takes. Like getting a Twitter account. (Which I do not have, nor do I want) But getting fit is really no more of a commitment than that. I'm making a commitment, right now, to myself and to you, assuming you're out there, reading along. Thirty minutes a day. Thirty minutes a day of focused toning exercise. That's thirty minutes on top of any cardio I decide to do, which I will hopefully have time for again in September. It is time for me to renew that commitment, and really focus on getting myself in the best shape of my life. For although "round" is a shape, and not one to be ashamed of, it isn't the healthiest shape for our bodies. I would say right now, that my body is average, leaning toward chunky. I have a relatively high amount of muscle on my 5'3" frame, and so I actually weigh about 35 or 40 more pounds than I look like I weigh. (And no, I am not brave enough to disclose that number online. Sorry!) And although the number of pounds I weigh has never been the most important number for me, (I'm far more concerned by the number of the jeans I'm pulling on) I know that I need to continue to slim down. But I am getting to the point now where I am not changing shape as much now as I am kind of bleeding off a pound here or there.

Well, the time has come to get serious about changing my body again. This time next year, with any luck, I won't be living in Ohio anymore, and in all likelihood, I'll be somewhere much more image conscious than the Midwest. I do feel like that is the right direction for me, but I also know that in order to slip into that kind of culture well, I need to feel good about my body. Therefore, dear Reader, whomever you are, I'm committing to this:

  • 30 minutes a day of muscle toning exercise
  • 90 or more minutes a week of focused cardio exercise 
  • even more fresh foods: low carb, high fruit and vegetable diets
  • choosing to look to the future and what I want to have happen instead of what I want right now
I've been down this road before. And it has never ended the way I want it to. Often, as with most people, it ends in failure. A few times, it ends with me in a very unhealthy weight loss situation, which makes me nervous.  I don't have a good understanding of food and my body, and thus, we don't have a healthy relationship.

But it all starts with two pieces of simplicity: A simple desire, and a simple commitment.

Here's to being simply fit (and fabulous!) by next Spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment