Wednesday, August 10, 2011

a balancing act

All things in moderation, except love.

This is the way I try to live my life. If I had a "life motto", that would be it. Because I truly believe that life is a balancing act, and that you need a little bit of everything to make it work right. A little bit of everything and a LOT of love.

There are things, of course, that aren't in your balancing act, or that get so unbalanced, you have to stop and adjust the fulcrum and get it right. But that's the adventure! If you think of life as a loooooong tightrope walk, you'll start to see where I'm heading.

You keep on the straight and narrow, but to do that, you have to take a walk on the wild side. Like the ancient yin-yang symbol, to every light is some shadow, to every water, there's a spark, to every good decision, there's a bad one lurking around the corner.  But balance. Take a little of each, and you'll move forward. When you get scared, or fall off, look down. Love, the one thing you don't use in moderation, is your safety net. When things get rough, you lean on your loved ones, and try not to fret. 
I honestly am trying to live this way. It isn't easy for me- I have kind of an obsessive personality- when I get into something,  I 'm IN it, and I have trouble backing down, and balancing my life. But I know that that is not healthy, and I'm not really at my best when I'm that way. Besides that, I know it makes me deadly dull to talk to, because I can only talk about one thing over, and over, and over again.

Balance. It's terribly important. No human being can live a life consumed by one passion: look at Mozart, Van Gogh, and Heath Ledger. After a time, that passion consumes you, leaving no room in your life for relationships or anything else.

Balance.

And when you fall, do it spectacularly. Don't be afraid to land on your loved ones. They LOVE you. That's the point. Love them back, and you'll find your heart fuller. Love freely and fully, without reservations. Even if it hurts when you land, you'll be back on your feet in no time, and you'll have learned something for next time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment