Friday, August 26, 2011

simple senses

Our five senses are our most powerful aids as we go through life. The ability to see, hear, taste, smell and touch, are nothing short of superpowers, and they continually amaze me with their abilities to improve our lives.

The sense I am most amazed with, however, is the sense of touch. How a simple touch changes your day or your mood is amazing. The ability to touch something or someone else and bring comfort, pleasure, or pain is a heavy burden, and one that we often take with a measure of apathy.

It is the simplest of remedies. At the end of a long day, is there anything more comforting than curling up somewhere safe and warm? Or in taking a long shower? Not for me. Whether it's a warm, fuzzy blanket and a good book, or the feeling of water dripping on my face, there's something about the feeling of being touched that is soothing for me.

That extends to people contact too. The next time you're stressed out, find someone who will hug you. I bet you'll be surprised at how much better and calmer you feel afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment