Tuesday, August 23, 2011

all those toxins...

I work at a Summer Day Camp for one more day. Today, I was walking past a group of six year-olds who were passing around an ice pack like it was some sort of minor deity. Then one of them said, "hey, I wonder if we could drink this blue water in there, and it would cool us down?" Actually, it sounded more like:

"hey I wundah if we coul dwink dis blue waduh in dere and it would cool us down?"

Of course, at this point, I had to stop, explain that no, they couldn't drink the blue water in the ice pack, and that they should probably put it away and go play.

And then I got "the question".

"Why?"

I refrained from saying "because I said so", and instead settled for "because the blue water has nasty chemicals in it, and drinking it would give you a really awful belly ache."

"oh" they said, thought about it for a minute, and then scampered off to play whatever game they were playing.

But that stated me thinking. We are surrounded by toxic chemicals, even when we don't know it. For instance, you know the reason you can't swallow toothpaste? It's toxic. Will kill you in large amounts. Mmmhmm, please, put that in your mouth and swill it around!

But we do! We all do it, without even thinking twice! I continue to do it, knowing the sneaky truth about this guy!

What if our lives were the way we were intended to live them: naturally? What if we didn't have to keep the cleaning supplies out of the reach of children, because nothing we owned was toxic? What if everything in our lives was HEALTHY?

I realize that this is a wistful statement, and that it isn't easy, and probably not possible on a college student's budget and schedule. But over the coming months, I'm gonna test some more natural cleaners, shampoos, soaps, etc and see what I think of them.  If they're comparable in both price and quality, then I will probably switch over. When and if I do, I'll post the recipes here so that you can try them out too!

No comments:

Post a Comment