Sunday, May 24, 2015

Mango relish

Hi friends!
Sorry I went dark on you there for a few days! The show opened- it's going very well, and I'm enjoying it immensely, but it has completely absorbed me for the last week.

Unfortunately that has included some relapsed eating habits. However, I was still down about a half pound to a pound this week, and it's That Time of The Month (yurgh), so I'm giving myself a pass on some of it. This week I'm looking forward to hopping back on the wagon, so to speak.

Tonight, however, I wanted to share with you all another recipe that I developed earlier in the week. I used it to top some baked porkchops and fresh asparagus- incredibly tasty and turns an average meal into a super quick and easy "people are here for dinner" meal. Best of all- the whole meal was ready in less than 45 minutes- and that includes all prep! Now that's my kind of recipe!


Pictured above: Baked pork chop, fresh sauteed asparagus topped with mango relish.

Ingredients:

-boneless thick cut pork chops
-one large mango
-onion (yellow or red) ( I used two small)
- 1Tb minced garlic
- asparagus
-olive oil
-salt
-pepper
-garlic salt
-one lemon (for juice)
-2 Tb tangerine juice

I started with the pork chop. I put them in a 9x9 baking pyrex that I'd drizzled some olive oil in. I add some salt, garlic powder and pepper to both sides and popped them in the oven for 20 minutes at 425. (I ended up cooking them for about 25-30). While they were cooking, I chopped up the mango and onion. I added some olive oil and the onion to my favorite flat bottomed skillet with a little salt and a heaping spoonful of minced garlic. After a minute or two, I added the mango to the pan and let that cook, stirring occasionally. Then I added the lemon juice and a splash of tangerine juice (mostly cause that's what I had in the fridge). I let the whole thing cook down until the onions were getting translucent before removing it from heat and setting aside.

Lastly, I added some olive oil and a touch of bacon grease to my griddle. I chopped the stem ends down on my asparagus, set them on the hot griddle and cooked them for a few minutes, rolling them over about half way through. When one of the thicker ones was easily speared by a fork, I removed them from heat. Then it was just a matter of plating and enjoying!

If I make the relish again, I think I would try to use lime juice and add some chopped cilantro to it, which would be very tasty. But I didn't have it and I didn't really miss it, either!

Enjoy!

Talk to you soon!
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment