Monday, May 4, 2015

After Whole30: Non-Gluten Grains

Oh my, friends. WHAT A DAY! Today I got to experiment with any grain (or pseudo grain) that didn't contain gluten. So that opened up things like rice, corn, oats, etc.

It was a fairly normal day. Work was fine, although repetitious. I came home, caught dinner with a friend... and plopped. I HATE it when I do that. I played on my computer... talked to a friend... got nothing done.

Then, about 9:30, I rallied and went for a run. I LOVE RUNNING AT NIGHT. I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed it! It was lovely.
Came home and tried to do my kettlebell circuit- but I got into my deadlifts and had some pretty bad, sharp, sudden knee pain, so that pretty much ended that! Happens, occasionally, but I try not to push it.
Now I'm showered, and it's bed time.

So let's talk about food. I'm gonna tell you what I ate and then circle back to how I'm feeling.

Meal 1: 2 fried eggs & five or six strawberries, grapefruit

Meal 2: Hamburger Cabbage Grandma soup & fritos (ingredients are only corn, corn oil & salt, so I figured it was a fairly safe experimental add in)

Snack: couple handfuls mixed nuts

Meal 3: sushi! Roll with a seaweed wrap, white rice, salmon, asparagus, carrot, arugula, avocado, topped with a tiny amount of a sweet soy and a sweet chili sauce.

ok, so. Felt fine through the morning. What I think of as the new normal. Head clear, plenty of energy, relatively focused. Then I ate lunch. With in 20 minutes of the fritos, I could feel them solidifying in my belly. Seriously, it felt like there was a hard ball of chewed up frito bits all massed back together right under my diaphragm. It was pretty painful. I had some brief but painful headache spasms, and then, about an hour after lunch, BAM, a relatively noticeable sharp pain in my left side. Then, within another 20 minutes, all of the symptoms disappeared.

So I don't think fritos are a very valid choice. I'm curious to try something less processed, like you know, sweet corn or something. However, at this point, I'm not sure I'll be choosing corn as often as I used to!

Then, dinner. I was a little nervous, honestly. I ate my sushi roll (which tasted HEAVENLY, by the way. SO GOOD). I tried to eat slowly and chew well. I really did try. I think I felt an echo of the grain mass in my belly, but if it was actually there, it was barely noticeable. I think rice occasionally (like in a sushi roll) will probably be ok. I do not think we'll be going back to rice as a main or side dish.

I will say, I felt great during my run. I'm working with an app called 5k runner, which is basically a couch to 5k program, but they tell you when to do what. But I really felt pretty great. So that's a bonus?

Tomorrow we're back on plan eating, and I have to admit, I'm looking forward to it...

Until next time~
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment