Monday, January 9, 2012

All Natural Hair Care

I have, in my opinion, very pretty hair. It is, in fact, my favorite physical feature. That being said, switching hair care products is a Big Deal in my life.

So switching to not using Shampoo? Color me terrified. But I have done a lot of research. I have read tens of blog posts about how much healthier the writers' hair was, and how lovely it felt, and how freaking CHEAP their new routine was.

"Ok, self." I thought. You can do this. What do you have to lose? Ignoring the part of me that was screaming "YOUR HAIR! WHAT WILL IT DO TO YOUR HAIR?!", I etched the little shampoo bottle, and mixed up the batch of "shampoo". Here's the first recipe I tried:

No 'Poo Shampoo

1- 3/4 warm water
2 tablespoons baking soda
a few drops peppermint and orange essential oils.

That's it! I mixed together, and used part of it on my head the next morning.

The results were... questionable. At best. It's been almost a week, and I'm still not sure I can handle this. My hair is dry, tangly, and funny feeling. It isn't...oily, necessarily... it just feels... funny. I was reading today that it doesn't work as well unless you do both parts at once (the second part being the apple cider vinegar conditioner) and so maybe I'll go buy some of that and give the pair a try. I've used the vinegar rinse before, and was pleased with the result.

In the meantime, I am trying to stick it out for two weeks. That seems to be a turning point- takes hair that long to adjust and stop over producing oils. That's 8 more washes, give or take. *deep nose breaths*

I'm trying... and I'll keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment