Friday, December 23, 2011

Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah, Blessed Yule, Joyous Kwanzaa & Happy Festivus!

Did I miss anyone?

If I did, then I apologize. May your holiday bring you much joy!

This Christmas (for that is what I celebrate!) I am finding that what's most special to me are the quiet moments in my days. The moments where I can take a minute, over my coffee, cookie in hand, and simply enjoy sitting on my couch. Don't get me wrong, I love Christmas. I love the entire event. I love all of the shopping and crafting. I love the decorating and wrapping. I love the music and lights. The food, the time spent with friends and family, the chill in the air and the way children's eyes sparkle. The excitement of Santa coming juxtaposed against the divinity of the birth of Jesus Christ.  I love the entire event.

But I am glad for the few moments of silence in a season that is so full of mental and emotional noise. It is rejuvenating to the soul, to be silent. It helps us to refocus, rethink, and recenter.

Take time, in the next few days, while we hustle from one house to another, rip open the wrapping paper, squeal over new treasures, and try to talk over each other to stop and breathe.

And take time to think of those that aren't busily wrapping and unwrapping gifts. Of those who are lonely, sick, hungry and cold this weekend. And when you are cleaning up from your Christmas, considering giving back to your community and our world.

I know that I will be getting rid of a copious amount of stuff after the holidays, and I encourage you to do the same. Heaven knows we all have enough stuff!

But whatever you do, enjoy it. This is a joyful season, and I hope it brings you much, much joy.

And thanks for reading this, whoever you are! you have no idea what it means to me that you do.

xo
Charis

No comments:

Post a Comment